The East Texas Area Council was formed in 1930 through
the merger of the Davy Crockett Council, the Pine Tree Council, and the Tejas
Council. The council was incorporated officially by Claude A.
Williams, Secretary of the State, on March 24, 1939. The legal
name of the council is the "East Texas Area Council, Boy Scouts of
Previous to 1930, there were many councils scattered throughout East
Texas that made up the three that eventually evolved into the East Texas
The Tyler council served the city of Tyler only and was
organized in 1922 with Mr. W. S. Barcus, Scout Executive. At the
close of 1922, there were ten troops with a total of two hundred twenty-two Boy
Scouts. In 1924, it increased to a three-county area and operated
under the name of Kickapoo Council. Harry B. Wiles was Scout Executive in
1924. This Council ceased to operate in 1925.
The Pine Tree council centered around Marshall, Texas, was organized
in 1927 with W. D. Bryan as Scout Executive. He served in this
position until 1931. H.F. Donnelley was Scout Executive until
The Davy Crockett council
was a merger in 1929 between limestone-Freestone county and Tr-An-Le-Ho
council. The Tr-An-Le-Ho council was organized in 1927 and was composed
of Trinity, Houston, Leon, and Anderson counties. Mr. Edmonds Knittle was
Scout Executive until 1930.
In 1927, the Limestone Council at Mexia was expanded to include Freestone
county. Mr. A. C. Williamson became Scout Executive and served
in that capacity until it merged with the Tr-An-Le-Ho council in 1929.
The Tejas council with headquarters in Nacogdoches included five
counties (1928). Later that same year it expanded to include three
additional counties. The organization meeting for this council was
quite an occasion because Dr. James E. West, Chief Scout Executive, National
Council, Boy Scouts of America, was present as were Scout officials
from Dallas, Houston and other areas. When the
application for council charter was presented to Dr. West it set forth the name
of the council as the James E. West Council. However, the
application subsequently was returned by the national council with the request
that another name be selected because of the policy against naming a council
for a living person. Dr. H. C. Tinney became Scout Executive of the
Council in 1928 and served through 1929. W. A. Zischang became Scout
Executive in 1929 and served until 1930 when he resigned and was replaced with
Mr. H. F. Donnelley.
The Region Nine report for 1930 states that in that
year the Davy Crockett, Pine Tree and Tejas councils were merged and the East
Texas Area Council was thus formed. H. F. Donnelley who had just
become Scout Executive of the Tejas council stayed on for a few
months as Scout Executive before being named the Scout Executive of
a council with headquarters in Cushing,Oklahoma. The council
office was in Marshall and remained there until it was moved
to Tyler in 1933.
In 1933, there were sixteen counties that made up the
East Texas Area Council. On December 31 of that year, there were
forty troops, eight hundred four Boy Scouts and one hundred
ninety-eight volunteer Scouters. The council owned
a camp namedCamp Kiwanis located near Rusk.
In 1939, Camp Tonkawa was officially
opened. "JC" Underwood became Scout Executive.
In 1947, money was raised
and Camp Kennedy was built and officially opened. The
camp was designed to serve the African-American young men that lived within the
East Texas Area Council.
The East Texas Boy Scout Foundation idea came about in
1947. Records reveal that the East Texas Boy Scout Foundation was
chartered by the State of Texas on May 15, 1948, by Mr. Kirk R.
Mallony, Assistant Secretary of State.
In 1957, land was purchased as well as additional land
leased for the purpose of building a new camp on the banks
of LakeMurvall near Carthage. In 1962 and 1963, a
capital campaign was conducted for the purpose of building the camp. Robert
Cargill served a Campaign Chair.
In 1960, a new Council office building was
erected. The East Texas Boy Scout Foundation owns the building and
therefore is trustee of it. Keep in mind, however, that the East
Texas Boy Scout Foundation is a part of the East Texas Area Council.
In May 1966, "JC" Underwood retired as Scout
Executive of the East Texas Area Council after having served twenty-seven years
in that capacity. Charles I. Lanham became Scout Executive of the
East Texas Area Council on July 1, 1966.
In 1970, 100 acres was added to the George W. Pirtle
Scout Reservation through the generosity of George W. Pirtle.
Homer M. "Smokey" Eggers became Scout Executive of the East Texas
Area Council on October 1, 1971.
In 1972, the council Exploring division, was established.
In 1973, the E. A. Nelson Activity Center was
constructed at the George W. Pirtle Scout Reservation. The first Council
Wood Badge Course, SC-1, was held and the first Troop Leadership Development
In 1975, Don Adkins became Scout Executive of the Council. The
self-service center was built
In 1978. Four-hundred acre was added to the
Pirtle Scout Reservation. The Family
Camping Center was developed in 1981.
The Wood Badge Training Center was also developed and built.
In 1982, a camp site for Scouters with disabilities was dedicated.
In 1983, Dick Austin became Scout Executive.
In 1990, Myron Rosebrook became Scout Executive.
In 1997, Mike Ballew became Scout Executive.
In 2013, Dewayne Stephens became Scout Executive.