A pre-participation physical is needed for resident, tour, or trek camps or for a Scouting event of more than 72 hours, such as Wood Badge and NYLT. The exam needs to be completed by a certified and licensed physician (MD, DO), nurse practitioner, or physician assistant.

All participants in all Scouting activities, such as local tours and weekend camping trips of fewer than 72 hours, need to complete and return to their unit leader parts A and B of the Annual Health and Medical Record. These forms need to be updated at least annually. Part A is an informed consent, release agreement, and authorization that needs to be signed by every participant (or a parent and/or legal guardian for all youth under 18). Part B is general information and a health history. Part C is your pre-participation physical certification.